August 2012 meeting notes

Meetings, Notes Comments Off on August 2012 meeting notes
Aug 122012

Attendees:  Dave/Lego, Jason/Nerf, Lynelle, Ben/Grimby, Jeff/DH, Ian, Dale, Jonathan, Linda, Nick, Zoo, Anita/QHM, Michael/Amy/Emily

  • We’ll ask Cory to make a shirt since there was lots of interest.
  • Garage sale was a great success!  We made $400.  Foot traffic was steady.  Will do better posters for next time.
  • Pinewood derby – will work on it after C6.
  • No costume donations for Etsy this meeting, but please bring items next month.  Pieces are awesome, so it doesn’t have to be full costumes.
  • $569.82 currently in treasury.
  • Boards – Ben et al are running out of excuses, long post cutoff problem still existing, will make boards live ASAP (probably after C6), some combining and new labeling will happen to the boards, like on the temporary ones now.
  • WOTR Got Talent Sept 6 – looking for RMFF and other SW group participation; planning for May 4th and Hauntings at Hanger, no Sept Open Cockpit due to conflict with Arvada Parade. Will start legal proceedings to get X-Wing to Denver Comic-Con; new X-Wing web site to go live soon; putting together video to promote X-Wing group
  • September 8th – Arvada Harvest Parade – will post place to meet, will take float, will check with Dan for his truck since Zoo’s won’t be available
  • Star Wars Reads day –  2nd week of October, publishers have gotten together to make this a day to promote reading via Star Wars books, want costumes at libraries & comic book stores – maybe one Denver SW entry, with or without 501st.
  • Komen Walk – first weekend of October – Michael will be the lead
  • Ian working on a blood drive (Bonfils)/movie showing at an AMC.  More details to come.
  • September meeting – maybe movie day at WOTR the weekend of 15/16 – Zoo will check
  • Backup location will be at Skywalker Ranch
Group photo!

July 2012 meeting notes

Meetings, News, Notes Comments Off on July 2012 meeting notes
Jul 252012

July 2012 notes

Attendees – Ben, Michael Nestelhut, Hugh, Melody, Dave, Jeff, Linda, Kim, Anita, Amy, Michael, Emily, Amanda, Austin, Alison (daughter), Jason, Tom, Dan, Emily M, Courtney, Shane, Abby, Mackenzie, Grant Middleton, Jeffrey & Erica, Floyd Salazar, Alex G & Bonnie, David, Rob S, Nigel, Becca

RMFF T-shirts

    -Cory is designing a new shirt!  No designs to share yet, though.

-We’re going to try and gauge interest via a poll on the temporary boards.  Dave, when he gets around to it, since he’s not busy or anything since he’s on summer vacation, will post the poll.

-Hopefully this will also encourage people to register on the temporary boards, if they haven’t already.

Garage sale – Saturday, July 28th 8 am at Jonathan & Linda’s house.  Details are here

    -Will accept donations, food and drink for sale the day of the event.

-Courtney will be bringing brownies.

-Money to go into the treasury for future RMFF needs.  Leftover items will either be donated to a local charity or sold on eBay, depending on their worth.

-JT will make lunch!

Arvada Harvest Parade – Sept 8

    -We’ll be participating

-Kim relayed from the parade committee that, “we were a hit!” Arvada wants us back!

-Float will be there.

-Jeff will start RL thread and contact 501st leadership about thread.

David Scott event idea: Pinewood Derby

    -There is a thought to build a pinewood derby downhill track and make some pinewood derby cars.  For those who don’t know what this is, here is the official web site and a virtual simulation of building the cars out of a block of wood.

-We would have sci-fi theme vehicles and we could buy 10 car kits for $30.

-We would build some cars ourselves and then bring the track and the cars to conventions for racing…you know, for kids!

-Another follow-up idea would be to put signage up where the car kits are sold that they can buy the cars, build them and come race them at cons.  The track (and possibly the cars) could be housed at Wings Over the Rockies museum.

-The Denver Scout shop in Lakewood has car kits available for $4 or you can buy them online starting at $3 each.

-Perhaps this would be a good idea for this year as we aren’t building a float and will have money in our treasury from raffles and the garage sale.

-Thoughts?

Kim’s wicked cool fire fundraising idea


-Kim would like to plan an event in October/November possibly at Wings or Cinebarre that would be a silent auction with activity stations like May the Fourth to raise funds for charities that have helped after all the wildfires in Colorado.

    -We would  invite celebrities and perhaps partner with a Colorado cahritable organization to make it happen.  We would sell tickets for activities and accept donations.

    -Kim would follow up by contacting an organization to see about the feasibility of this idea.

Becca’s Aurora Massacre fundraiser idea

-Becca and Anita would like to raise money after the Aurora movie shooting.  The idea is to accept extra costume/accessory donations and then to sell them via Etsy.

    -Anita and Becca will accept donations at the August meeting and take photos for posting on Etsy.  The donations would go towards GivingFirst.org, or another charitable organization affiliated with this cause.

Treasury update

-Jeff says we have same as last month, but we sold lots of raffle tickets this month, so the updated total is…

    -We now have $176.97.

    -Yippee!

Board update

    -Stuff was messed up in migration, posts are missing/ truncated to 10,000 characters, but being found.

    -They are working on finding them, but may go live and then find additional posts.

    -The new boards will go live “soonish,” but, via Ben, we will probably have the new boards in place by Celebration 6 (August 23 – 26).

Other announcements

-Thanks from Denver Comic Con to RMFF for volunteering, SW wall, staffing!  DCC 2012 May 30th weekend with Stan Lee.

-Starfest will have Samuel L Jackson in 2013.

-The 501st and Rebel Legion have created 200 patches for donations to red cross and united way.  Contact Hugh Coffman for more information on purchasing one of these patches.

-RMFF is always invited to RL events – The next event is bowling on August.  Contact Hugh Coffman for details.

-Celebration 6 – Ben is encouraging people to go to TFN party and if you ask nicely he may hook you up with a drink ticket.  Any additional C6 travel or convention coordination?

-Kim has a group photo.  Can you send that to me so I can put it in here?

Next meeting: August 11th, 2 PM, usual Village Inn off I-25 and Colorado.

June meeting notes

Meetings, Notes Comments Off on June meeting notes
Jun 192012

The June 2012 meeting was June 17 at 1 PM at the Denver Comic-Con.

Attendees include: Jonathan, Ian, Melody, Kim, Dan, Mel, Hugh, Lynelle, Anita, Emily (Dan’s sister), Linda, Jason, Zoo, and the late arriving Courtney.

  • The July BBQ will be 7/21 at 2 pm – meat provided, bring sides
  • Arvada harvest festival parade – 9/8 – don’t know if we can have float, Kim has contacted them, but there are no details yet
  • Garage sale – The garage sale has been rescheduled for the last weekend of July.  Please bring any donations to the July BBQ.  Proceeds will go into the RMFF coffers.
  • Art update: Cory’s ex boss Ray has the basic RMFF logo that can be used for shirts in the future.  Mel has his contact info and we can print future shirts with the basic logo.  Is there interest in doing this?  X-Wing project art is pretty much done and Zoo will post it on FB and will make shirts.
  • Open cockpit –  July 14th at Wings Over the Rockies
  • Board update – IGN is working on boards, no time frame yet, still “close.”  Ben would love it if you frequently ask him “What’s up with the boards?”  In the meantime, there are temporary boards here and you can like the RMFF Facebook page here.  We will let everybody know when the new boards are ready.
  • Treasury – $9 more than last month (approximately $130?)  No raffle this month.
  • C6 – Lynelle can transport stuff, let her know sizes of boxes, leaving 8/17 – everything Tuesday before.  Everybody except Bfett88 will be at the Rosen Plaza.  Coordination is basically happening in a group PM over on Facebook.  If you’re going and not in the FB group PM, contact Jonathan and he can help you out.
  • The Mountain Base Garrison of the Rebel Legion has “challenge coins” for sale.  Contact Shana Farris and/or Zoo for ordering information.
  • At the con, Jonathan met one of the artists in Artist Alley who lives in Wyoming and was interested in being a part of the group and contributing his artistic skills to the group.  His name is John Eaves and his blog can be found here.  Jonathan will email him a link to the Facebook group page and the home page of our group.
  • And last, but not least, cyodarun/Mel will be stepping down as CR as of July 1st.  She will be becoming Co-CR with Dave (Lego) who is our current Co-CR.    We wish Mel and Dave good luck!

Part of the RMFF who showed up for the meeting. Many others were there volunteering and staffing the con!

May meeting notes

Meetings, Notes Comments Off on May meeting notes
May 212012

Attendees – Ian, jthornto, FanForced, nerfherders, Grimby, QHM, Stephanie (new member!), darthhair, Hugh, cyodarun, Sith__Chick, nnaydolem, archaicrebel, Obi-Wannabe, Amy (SWSNBMOTB) and little Wannabe (Emily), dude who showed up late (sorry I didn’t get your name)

  • Board update – Boards still down, waiting for database to be fixed, Ben has no clue for timeline on new board implementation as he’s waiting on other people for database stuff, more details next month.  Grimby reminded us about the temp boards and that you can log-in via Facebook, which makes it so easy, so go do it and post!
  • R2-KT auction at Starfest – $2,500 raised for auction
  • Denver Comic Con  – Hyatt hotel full, Hilton Garden available, 3-day and single tix on sale (codes: RMFF2011 for 20% off), moved con to 100,000 sq. ft. space.

-There will be a Star Wars area upstairs and near the entrance and all groups will be there.  Each group will have multiple spaces.  Each space will be 6 feet wide and 10 feet deep with a table.  RMFF will have 3 spaces with the Jabba toss, photo stand, and usual props on table.  Feel free to bring other stuff to make the table look cool!  The float will not be at the con.

-We’ll need to staff the tables from 6-10 on Friday, Saturday 10 – 6, Sunday 10-5, so cyodarun will work on a schedule.

-Thursday night event before con there will be a special event at Mile Hi Comics’ Jason St. warehouse.  Any other questions, contact Obi-Wannabe.

  • WOTR debrief – May the 4th event – 2,500 people, largest day for museum, huge success for event.

-For next year  we’ll work on more line organization, pre-sale tix, appt. times for X-Wing photos, etc.  Mercs will take over shooting range for 2013.  It will be an all day event since May 4, 2013 will be a Saturday.

-We’ll start plans for WOTR Halloween event for this year.

  • Garage sale – Will be at Skywalker Ranch/Thornton’s house around the end of June. Day TBD.  Please bring stuff to June meeting at Denver Comic-Con, if you can.  We’ll have water/soda/bake sale.
  • Arvada Harvest Parade invite – Kim is point of contact, will happen September 8th, will get more info for next meeting.
  • Joint ops reminders – please be appropriate at all public events, professional conduct at all times in public
  • Celebration 6 planning – Attendees: Jason (nerfherders), Chris (Mrs. nerfherders), Ben (Grimby), Jeff & Kim (sith couple), Mel (cyodarun), Hugh, Melody (nnaydolem), Jonathan (jthornto), Shane (Bfett88); we’re all staying at Rosen Plaza.  Any other details/coordination?
  • Denver County Fair in August – They will be having a Geek Pavilion and we’re invited, however we won’t be participating/have a table due to timing with C6 and heat during the event.
  • RMFF/Kim made quilts – one for R2-KT auction, one was presented to Mel
  • Fund-raising ideas – look into making pins, geek card, and possibly new RMFF logoed shirt (Mel will contact Cory)
  • Art department update – Cory is awesome and still willing to be art monkey from CA., new banner on Facebook page (where most of the action happens nowadays since the boards are down)
  • Rancor poking – same amount as last month, plus a few bucks from this month’s raffle.
  • June meeting Sunday at Comic-Con (June 17th, time TBD)
  • July BBQ – Dan/Jomama’s house, July 21st at 2 pm

April 2012 meeting notes

Meetings, Notes Comments Off on April 2012 meeting notes
May 092012
  • Attendees: Jason, Amy, Jason/Bravo, Ian & wife, Dan/Jomama, Ben/Grimby, Elizabeth, Dave/Lego & S.O., Mel, Kim, Sarnia, Hugh, Nick, Shane/Courtney
  • May the 4th be with you – 4 – 8 PM, set up at 3, teardown 8-9
  • Open Cockpit on May 12th
  • Boards – temp board you can log-in via FB, will probably be up for another couple of weeks
  • May meeting – 20th 2 PM at Village Inn near I-25 and Colorado.
  • Balloon lightsabers at Denver Comic-Con, no Star Wars room, prices went up May 1st (Code RMFF12), individual tix now on sale
  • $116 in treasury, bought Tim’s brick, paid Sith couple back for float expenses
  • Garage Sale date??
© 2019 Rocky Mountain Fan Force Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha